Learn about how to become a Blue Ribbon mentor.
Mentors are the heart of our organization. We could not function without the support and investment of our mentors. Mentor-advocates help to identify their mentee’s potential and find ways to tap into that potential for growth. Mentors also take on the role of advocates by ensuring that their mentee is receiving the services needed at school and taking advantage of other community supports.
Blue Ribbon needs more mentors to invest in the lives of students in Chapel Hill-Carrboro!
- Spend 2 hours per week one-on-one with your mentee
- Perform additional advocacy activities as needed
- Work with your mentee for a minimum of 1 year
- Attend pre-service and ongoing trainings
- Stay in regular contact with program staff
Mentors must be at least 21 years old. All mentors must pass a screening interview, criminal background check, and driving history check.
Signing up is as easy as 1-2-3!
- Complete an Online Application.
- Schedule a time for a screening interview with Granvel Johnson.
- Attend our new mentor training (3 sessions). These fun and interactive sessions will prepare you to be a great mentor! See the schedule for the 2015-2016 school year below.
|Fall 2017 New Mentor Trainings|
|Session 1: Program Orientation and Overview||Thursday, Oct 26, 7:00-9:00 P.M.|
|Session 2: How to be a Great Mentor!||Saturday, Oct 28, 9:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M|
|Session 3: Dinner with Current Mentors / Advocacy 101||Monday, Oct 30, 5:30-9:00 P.M.|
|Spring 2017 New Mentor Trainings|
|Session 1: Program Orientation and Overview||Thursday, Mar 16, 7:00-9:00 P.M.|
|Session 2: How to be a Great Mentor!||Saturday, Mar 18, 9:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.|
|Session 3: Dinner with Current Mentors / Advocacy 101||Monday, Mar 20, 5:30-9:00 P.M.|
Looking for other Volunteer Opportunities?
Blue Ribbon Mentor-Advocate offers evening tutorial sessions for middle and high school students. These sessions include peer support, college exposure, and creative learning activities. Contact our Academic Support Specialist for more information about tutorial or to sign up to serve as a tutor. Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools has many additional volunteer opportunities as well.